This building is one of the first to be constructed on the downtown square in 1884 following the disastrous Thanksgiving Day fire. It is known as the "Gary Block", and is named for Dr. Thomas P. Gary who was Ocala's first mayor.
Some of the first occupants was the Birdsey & Company hardware store on the ground floor, and Ocala's telephone company on the third floor. McCrory's five and dime store occupied this site from 1929 until 1991. Today the building contains just two floors; a fire in February 1969 destroyed the top floor. It was renovated by Blanchard, Merriam, Adel and Kirkland P.A. in 1993.