A congregation formed the Mount Zion A.M.E. Church in 1866 following the end of the civil war. This brick church featuring a historic bell was built in 1891, replacing a former wooden structure. This auditorium style building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is the only surviving brick church in Ocala from the 1800's.
This downtown historic walking tour is an Ocala Main Street project sponsored in part by the Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the State of Florida.