A three story hotel occupied this site from 1848 until it was destroyed by Thanksgiving Day Fire of 1883. The hotel was rebuilt and survived until it was razed in 1968. Each room featured a fireplace, and water and gas was piped to each floor. At the turn of the century a room cost 75 cents, and those with a private bath cost $1.50. A viewing tower on top of the hotel allowed a panoramic view of the entire city which in the late 1800's encompassed one square mile. Below are postcard photos of the interior, as a well as a menu from the hotel dining room dated 1889.
This downtown historic walking tour is an Ocala Main Street project sponsored in part by the Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the State of Florida.