This building was constructed in 1886. It originally contained a harness shop and a cobbler (on the southern corner), with a furniture and coffin maker located next door (on the left side). In later years renovations combined the two storefronts.
Mary Peacock, a dressmaker; L.F. Ballard, a painter and decorator; and N.F. Kearns, an upholsterer, had shops in LaFayette Block in the early 1900s. Stewart's Printer was an occupant in 1930. A tailor, restaurant, jeweler, and gift shop were in the building by 1935 and remained in place until 1940.
Recently renovated by and occupied by Ivy House on the Square Restaurant, the business owners received a Florida Main Street Award in 2018 for this historical renovation project.
This downtown historic walking tour is an Ocala Main Street project sponsored in part by the Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the State of Florida.