The Marion Theater opened on September 11, 1941 as Ocala's first air conditioned building. It cost $100,000 and features 18 inch thick brick walls. The first movie shown was named Aloma of the South Seas and a matinee ticket cost 33 cents. Inside the theater lobby is a small water fountain that was restored by the Historic Ocala Preservation Society. The theater originally had seating for 900 patrons, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This downtown historic walking tour is an Ocala Main Street project sponsored in part by the Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the State of Florida.
The photo below is from the grand opening in 1941.