This seven story building featuring Spanish Colonial Revival architecture was constructed in 1927 as a luxury hotel containing 100 rooms. It was Ocala's tallest building for 60 years, and is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The costs of construction were completely financed by the sale of stock certificates to local citizens. The hotel opened with a gala celebration in early March, 1927 with 300 people in attendance.
Today, the building is known as the Sovereign Building.
This downtown historic walking tour is an Ocala Main Street project sponsored in part by the Department of State, Division of Historical Resources and the State of Florida.