This Victorian Queen Anne style home exhibits Gothic architectural features. It was built in 1891 and is named the "Rheinauer House". The property originally occupied one-half acre, and extended to Southeast Second Street to the rear. There was a separate kitchen and a carriage house on the back of the property. Charles and Emma Rheinauer bought the home in 1895, and it remained in the family until 1942. Mr. Rheinauer originally immigrated from Germany, and moved here from Thomasville, Georgia in 1880. He opened a dry goods store on the downtown square named Rheinauers with his brothers, which remained in business for 117 years. Mr. Charles Rheinauer was also the president of the LaCriola Cigar Company, vice president of the Ocala Iron & Manufacturing Works, founder of the Ocala Board of Trade (later known as the Chamber of Commerce), director of the Merchants National Bank, and became mayor of Ocala in 1906.
Below is a store receipt dated 1894.